Friday, January 23, 2009

Nurses know best?

Dad's bypass surgery went well. I know he his feeling better because he was arguing with the nurse about what an acceptable bed time was. She wants him to go to bed at 8.30, he asked why. She says they are going to give him a bath at four in the morning. He doesn't understand why he should try to go to bed six or seven hours before he is usually in bed so they can wake him in the middle of the night for a bath. He feels that if they really want him to rest like they claim, they will let him sleep in. Mom and Monica are still at the hospital, so I am assuming that he won the argument...

I hung out with a family in the waiting room today that made me miss mine. They were loud, outspoken, argued for hours on end good-naturedly about nothing. Quite a difference from Rob's family who are quiet and mostly courteous with each other. I think that I counted fifteen or so of them crammed into the tiny waiting room. Mom couldn't understand how I could do homework in that chaos...how could I explain to her that it was easier to focus there than in the absolute silence of the hallway. Anyway...I finally got the big project that I have been working on done...I feel I have earned a solid night of sleep.

2 comments:

  1. I can no longer keep track of who is in whose family. Paul had bypass surgery? Or Rob's dad? Either way, hope he heals up soon.

    Nurses do things at four in the morning so that patients are ready to be seen by the doctor at 6 or 7 in the morning, so the doctors can see patients at the office at 7 or 8 a.m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob's dad. And he isn't really sympathetic to the nurses schedule. He would prefer to see the doctor unbathed and wash later. Mostly he is cranky about being immobile and looking to be onery so everyone knows he is unhappy.

    ReplyDelete