Saturday, November 21, 2009

I'm Blaming it on Pregnancy

Last week my cousin and I put down wood floors in the kitchen. To do this, we had to get all of the appliances out of the kitchen. The dishwasher hasn't been draining right and had three inches of water that smelled like sewage in the bottom of it. We used a shop-vac to drain the dishwasher, but while attempting to disconnect the dishwasher, we managed to flood the kitchen. So we manage to get the dishwasher out of the way and the water shut off and my cousin's one year old decided to have a meltdown at that particular moment. She goes to tend to the baby and is standing there watching me clean up the mess while she calms the baby down.

Rewind to three months ago
I am standing in my kitchen deciding what to get rid of in my annual kitchen purge. I am holding a mop in my hand that I have not used in five years thinking "I haven't used this in five years, I have a swiffer, I will never use this again," and tossed it into the goodwill pile.

Now back to the flood
I am mopping up the mess with a pile of sham-wows and wringing them into a bucket and cursing myself for getting rid of the mop. My cousin is laughing at me, she cannot believe I don't have a mop, I am grumbling that I hadn't thought about the efficiency of swiffers in flood intervention. By the time everything is cleaned up, I am in a spectacularly foul mood.

Later that night
We are getting ready for bed and I realize that...I have a shop-vac! I tell my cousin and husband about it and they are laughing at me, then my cousin points out that not only do I have a shop-vac, but I had been wringing the shammies out into the bucket part of the shop-vac. Because I don't have a mop anymore, I don't have a mop bucket either. I remind her that she stood there and watched me and it didn't click with her either. Then I remember that I had actually had to dismantle the shop-vac to get the bucket. While I am lamenting having made the situation so much more difficult for myself my husband's only comment was "the baby is doomed."

No comments:

Post a Comment