Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I'm Going There

I said I wouldn't but I can't help it, I'm going there. Two words: Healthcare Reform. Now, my dislike for our current national leadership aside and my utter amazement at the convoluted process that this bill went through, there are some major issues I have with this so called 'reform.' I promise I am not going to go into everything about this that I have a problem with, but there are two things that I am so irritated about I just can't keep them to myself anymore.

As a disclaimer, as far as I understand it, this bill will not directly affect me as we buy health insurance, independently, not through an employer and we don't make a ton a money which, I believe, exempts us from the special tax to fund the bill.

A couple of observations:

1. If we elect our representatives to represent us, why would the President constantly berate Congress for not 'working together to put aside partisan blah, blah, blah...' when our representatives are voting the way we, as the people, wish them to. The president is going on a cross country speaking tour to sell this bill to the American people. This tells me the people don't want this bill and the difficulty he had selling it to Congress was reflecting this. It isn't that we don't want healthcare reform, we just don't like the form it is taking. (Something like 40% of polled Americans are against it.)

2. How is it constitutional for the government to require that we purchase a product? If you want to do it that way, take the premium out in taxes and make healthcare a government service like police, but don't try and mask what you are doing.

I am assuming that this will get thrown out in the supreme court for unconstitutionality, or maybe not, but the way this whole debacle has played out thus far worries me greatly about the direction our government is heading.

No comments:

Post a Comment