Monday, March 9, 2009

Taxes

Now usually, I am pretty good about getting taxes done in an non-last-minute sort of style. I have had them done as early as Valentine's Day before. Last year, however, was not my shining moment of togetherness. In March, my sister got married, then I had finals, then I started packing for our early April move. I couldn't find all my tax documents out of the boxes in time so I filed an extension. Last minute again, in June, I finally did my taxes, e-filed them and waited patiently for the direct deposit to post to my account. I got a strange check in the mail a couple weeks later that was not for the same amount as my refund from a bank I had never heard of and had one of those weird disclaimers attached to it like if you cash this check you are certifying this loan. I burned the check. Two months later and no refund yet, I called the IRS. Turns out one of the routing numbers was wrong and the check I burned was my refund. To get it reissued, we had to have a form notarized and by November, I finally had my tax check.

Now this year, hopefully we can avoid all the fuss and get it right the first time, which I will be attempting tonight. I really hate doing taxes...

No comments:

Post a Comment