Thursday, November 26, 2009

What's In a Name?

After our birthing class Monday, Rob and I were chatting with another couple about names for the baby. When we told them we were seriously considering Gustav, the man laughed. This is a reaction I am getting used to, but his explanation for the mirth was better than most...

"With a name like that you are giving the child no choice but to be a world leader, musical prodigy, great military mind, innovative scientist. I just can't imagine a guy named Gustav being a normal guy."

While I have to admit it isn't really a ho-hum kind of name and I believe names can influence the kind of person you become, I am more inclined to think that if we actually called him Gustav from birth, he may just become the anti-thesis of our dreams for him, a successful Brain if you will or a baby Stewie with plans to take over the world fresh out of the womb.

No comments:

Post a Comment